Friday 3 June 2011

A very bad weekend...

Some times it happens, some times thing just don't go well. In my case I have a few low spots every year where I just feel crap. This year has been all the tougher!

We had a pair of races, the Memorial Bruno Neves, in honour of the cyclist that died during the Classica Amarante in 2008. The other was a wierd little stage race around and about a town called Oliveira de Azemeis.

The first race I felt a bit off, but got stuck in as best I could and attacked when necessary. About two hours into the race the heavens opened and it started hailing. I hate the cold and could feel my legs becoming less responsive. A team mate who was in the break fell and we had an obligation to attack. So we did.

Later the race rolled along compact under control by the Barbot team. Given the stormy weather and the oily roads there were many falls... Just my team had three. The last of these was me! I hit the deck hard. I fell on to my Gluteus which was full extended as my knee was was up as I was cornering. This really hurt. I've had my fair share of injury and this one, while just a bruise left me in a lot of pain, so much so I didn't continue in the race. Had I wanted to continue, however by bike was in two separate pieces, so it would not have been possible, since there was no spare.

The next day was a little stage race snaking round a very built up county. I was feeling terrible and should not have started. Not least because the bike that was prepared for me this day was completely ill-fitting. A blocked eustachian tube left me feeling dizzy and with nausea. Needless to say, I didn't complete this race either.

With that awful experience past, I have been training harder than ever. I've received my calendar for the next few months and it is excellent. I am really motivated now to do my absolute best.

No comments:

Post a Comment